I am different, not less!!





I am different, not less!!

I can't speak,however I can communicate using an app, avaz.

I can't write, however I can type.

I can't follow multiple instructions, however I can follow it with visual cues.

I can't do calculations in my head, but I can do calculations using calculator.

I am not following any syllabus, however I am learning functional academics for understanding various concepts related to independent living.

I don't like to draw and colour pictures, I like to make jewellery.

I don't like to make puzzles, I like to do embroidery in clothes.

Now let me talk about my hobbies:

My favourite hobby is horse riding. Also I like to play badminton. I enjoy beading while making jewellery, I enjoy stimming while doing embroidery, I like swimming, basketball and cycling. I am a foodie and like to eat crispy food.

Now I will discuss my achievements.

I won my first gold medal for roller skating in 2016 and that was a turning point in my life. After that people started introducing me as a gold medalist and I felt confident and happy. After which I was able to focus on learning and my teacher's were happy with me. Then I won many gold medals in the State level roller skating competitions. I started enjoying getting appreciation. I participated in the Special Olympics state level compitition and won Silver medal. Special Olympics felicitated me as a Special Athlete. I started enjoying my life. My family always helped me fly high. I won a medal for Karnataka in the National roller skating championship and that was a huge milestone in my life. I participated in the beach tennis tournament and got a Gold medal in that too.. Now I am a teenager who is proud of myself.

Now let me talk about my difficulties:

I have sensory processing difficulties(my mother explained to me about it) and so I always struggle to sit, focus, follow instructions, eat various foods, brush teeth, cut hair, cut nails and many more. I used to scream loudly while doing these activities. My mother created a program by taking advice from the experts to work on my sensory processing difficulties and it really helped me overcome major challenges. Now I can sit and focus and can follow instructions to complete tasks. I can take care of myself with minimal help from parents. I need a predictable routine. I can't accept sudden changes in the daily routine. Then my anxiety will shoot up. When my mother started preparing me with visuals I started understanding about the changes and can adjust. I like to spend my day with various activities. Sometimes I get mood swings and will become sad and angry. Then I need some time to settle. I like to spend time with people who like me and accept me the way how I am. When I am struggling to do tasks because of my sensory processing difficulties, my mother used to tell me that I can do and she is here to support you!! That was a great support for me to overcome my challenges. I enjoy the company of my brother Aadi, we fight with each other, play together, sleep together and spend time together. My father takes me for long drives that really helps me to calm down. He plays with me and loves me a lot. My family loves me and accepts me the way I am.

I am a productive member of society and I have a bank account.  Yes.. I am different, not less!!

I am sharing this post as a part of Autism awareness day.

With love

Advaith( Addu). 

Comments

  1. Our proud young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Advaith,
    You are smart, strong and can do anything that you set your mind to.

    All the best. With lots of love
    Meenakshy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of blessings and best wishes from a mum who's daughter is also autistic

      Delete
    2. Very proud of you Addu. Love you too......

      Delete
  3. You wrote it so well .Would love to read more about your journey and achievements.Good luck and God Bless you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Advaith,
    You are already an Achiever and have accomplished so much. You will surely live a very happy and fulfilling life ahead.
    With lots of love
    Samir

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love you dear

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Memory is the diary we all carry about with us.....

How i taught my son to type - Explained Step by Step

Structured Teaching Method and why it is important for children with ASD